Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Teaching soapmaking to Chemistry students

I was asked to teach some chemistry students how to make soap this week.  I was in their classroom two days, first to make the soap and the next day to cut it.

The students were able to take the recipe I used and calculate the molarity of the sodium hydroxide solution (9.2 Molar solution), change the ounces of oil used to grams and take the pH of the soap at trace (14). Here are some pictures of these bright students.

Mr. Klein's AP Chemistry class
Hannah mixes the sodium hydroxide
Alana mixes the oils
Hannah slowly pours the NaOH while Alana mixes


Andrew adds the essential oil blend,. We used lime, lavender, eucalyptus and patchouli
The next day, Hannah unwraps the soap while the class watches

Charlie stamps his soap
Sam and his soap


All of the students (and me) with their soap
I had a great time with these kids. They asked insightful questions and really seemed to enjoy learning about the process. Their soap is now curing for four weeks in the classroom.  I'm told the room smells great and the students are anxious to take their soap home!


Yours in Gratitude,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment