Thursday, April 18, 2013

Perfume making

I have a hobby that I no longer have too much time for, and that is perfume making. I should probably pack away my supplies, but I keep hoping that soon I will have time. And besides, sometimes I just like to sit down and smell all the essential oils, absolutes and resins I have.

If you've been following my blog, you know that I have assisted Charna Eithier of Providence Perfume when she comes to teach her Natural Perfume classes in NYC. Before I was her assistant, I took both of the classes she teachers and started making perfumes.  I felt like a little kid again, mixing oils, diluting the absolutes, and tincturing whatever I could get my hands on. I also ordered Mandy Aftel's Perfume Workbook, along with the oil kit. Mandy's workbook takes a more structured approach to perfume making, but I enjoyed every part of it. Once I decided to turn my soap making hobby into a business though, there wasn't much time for perfume making. Still, I love all my perfume making materials and enjoy looking and smelling them.


The "perfume organ" that my dad made for me. (Thanks again Dad!)


Accessory notes from Providence Perfume


Base notes from Eden Botanicals



The perfume corner of my soap studio.
Charna has opened a store in Providence and isn't able to come to NYC so the next perfume class will be given by Julianne Zaleta. I'm looking forward to seeing how someone else approaches the craft of perfume making and learning more about the hobby I no longer have much time for.

Yours in Gratitude,
Angela

2 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful "perfume organ". I too agree about the time issue...somehow we have to make the time..."carve it out" of the week if you will. Unfortunately for me, creativity strikes at the darnedest times and I usually want to do these things when I have to be doing something else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad made the perfume organ for me, he also makes my soap boxes and drying racks. Too bad there aren't more hours in a day!

      Delete